The town of Berlin Maryland had its start around the 1790s, part of the Burley Plantation, a 300-acre land grant dating back to 1677. The name Berlin is believed to be derived from a contraction of "Burleigh Inn", a tavern located at the crossroads of the Philadelphia Post Road (now South Main Street) and Sinepuxent Road (Tripoli Street). This may be why the traditional pronunciation of the town's name of Berlin is BURL-un, as opposed to the more modern pronunciations BER-LIN and ber-LIN. The traditional pronunciation is rarely heard today. Berlin incorporated as a town in 1868. In the early 21st century, Berlin, MD was known as a rest stop for travelers on their way to the coastal resort of Ocean City as well as a stop for tourists who enjoyed hunting and fishing on the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland.